General Montgomery famously travelled in his Humber Snip 4 X 2 Four-Seat Open Tourer, both in the North African campaigns and also those of Western Europe after the D-Day landings. This kit comes with the famous General dressed in his well known battledress and beret, along with his dedicated driver.
A water-cooled 4 cylinder petrol engine producing 25hp powered the bus through a 3-speed and reverse gearbox with a shaft to the rear wheels. The chassis was made of ash faced with steel and the cast steel wheels had solid rubber tyres. Civilian versions were fitted with fenders on each side between the wheels to prevent people from falling under the rear wheels.
The Bedford MW series was the smallest of the wartime Bedford trucks and many thousands were produced throughout the Second World War. Early models earned the nickname the ‘Pneumonia Wagon’ due to their small windscreens and open cabs.
With over 52,000 vehicles built between 1941 and 1945, the Bedford QL 3-ton truck was one of the most numerous British vehicles during the Second World War. Designed as either a general duties truck or troop transport, the QL was powered by a 3.5 litre, 6-cylinder petrol engine producing 72bhp, giving a governed top speed of 38mph. Thanks to its high ground clearance, cross-country tyres and a 2-speed, 4-wheel-drive transfer box located in the centre of the chassis (giving 8 forward gear ratios), the QL had excellent cross country mobility. A large number are still in use by enthusiasts.
The Willys Jeep, officially designated Truck, 1/2 ton, 4x4, is the best known of all the American vehicles of the Second World War. Originally intended to be a command and reconnaissance car, it became the most versatile of all vehicles. Able to be armed with machine guns and to tow small artillery pieces, the Jeep was essential to the Allied war effort.
This B type bus ‘Ole Bill’ is typical of a considerable number which were shipped overseas during the First World War of 1914 to 1918. These military buses were used in Flanders as troop transports and as ambulances, and differed from the civilian versions by having boarded up windows and the omission of the side fenders. The body of the bus was built mainly of wood and seats 18 passengers on the top deck and 16 below inside.